Are you in high school and an avid reader?
Looking for volunteer hours?
Do you enjoy reading with children in a one-on-one situation?
The Children’s Book Bank is seeking energetic and personable high school students to become our new After School Reading Buddies candidates! The Children’s Book Bank is a registered charity in Regent Park that provides free books to children in the Toronto area. Want to find out more? Visit http://www.childrensbookbank.com and take a sneak peek at what we do; you can also find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube!
This volunteer program will run after school between 4:00pm-6:00pm. We will select 4 students; each student will volunteer once a week between October-December 2014. Applicants must be sure that they can dedicate one afternoon per week, regardless of school or extra curricular activities.
Under the leadership of our Director of Inventory and Outreach, Reagan Walton, candidates will be responsible for:
- Helping customers make good book choices
- Establishing relationships with children in after school groups
- Reading to and encouraging reluctant readers
- Tidying and organizing the store shelves
- Working behind the counter and keeping track of book counts
- Assisting with incoming book donations
- General cleaning responsibilities (including sanitizing, dusting, sweeping)
- Special tasks assigned by Reagan Walton
If this sounds like something that interests you, please email a completed Reading Buddies Application Form to The Children’s Book Bank’s Director of Inventory and Outreach, Reagan Walton: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by October 1st, 2014.
Don’t miss this amazing opportunity to help kids find free books!